Monday, December 14, 2009

Embracing Almodovar




"You look like the girl from the Almodovar movies" I hear it alot and obviously they aren't talkin about Penelope. Yes the strangely Picassoesque Rossy De Palma could probably pass as my sister. I just saw Almodovar's Broken Embraces and although not my favourite it's still Almodovar which is synonymous for fabulous in my movie going books. It's a film partially about a director and his muse made by a director and his muse. A film about filmamking with an older film about film making inserted into it. Are you following? Lots to follow in the film but all the Almodovar quirky obsessiveness is there as well as the mentioned insert of "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" which happens to be one of my favourites and features Ms. De Palma.

I met Almodovar at a dinner Paper Magazine held for the opening. Yes, Madonna was there.... but I only had eyes for Pedro. The first thing he did was lift up my arm and asked me if the hair was real?...We both had a laugh and he said he thought it was beautiful and told me about a scene he shot with Penelope where he made her grow her armpit hair. As we hugged good bye he asked me how to pronounce my name again, to which I replied Dama Maricona and we both had one last laugh and the embrace was broken....

1 comment:

  1. I love how Penelope is looking at you! She is finally getting to see what real beauty is.

    ReplyDelete