Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Keith Haring

When you're young you always think about "what do I want to be when I grow up?" When the Challenger blew up I proudly declared I would be an astronaut, when Cyndi Lauper was queen I didn't want to be a pop star per se, I just wanted to be punk and dye my hair lots of colours. My family used to drive cross country so at the post secondary school fair when all the girls came home with model and acting school pamphlets, I came home with a truck driving application that my parents quickly hid from me. I then went through a phase where I was obsessed with Warhol, Basquait, Haring and the NY scene and wanted to move to the East Village. The phase ended, but in a ironic full circle I now live in NY, and just hosted a party for the new Keith Haring line by the fabulous NY firecrotch Ms. Pat Field! Susanne Bartsch-orama...on the mic.
It felt like a blast from NY's club kid past...people were pumping looks! Brandon Olson and Kenny Kenny Rainblo and Edris. Paul Alexander and Muffinhead.Let's play original club kid Where's Waldo...or should I say where's Zaldy, which is sort of the same thing....I could spot his beautiful long tresses from miles away.
Zaldy now rarely has time for clubbing since he's busy designing for the best. He made all the clothes for Michael Jackson's last tour. Here are some of the pieces that now sadly sit in museums. The mannequins were amazing.
I thought this one was a mannequin till he started voguing!
Me and the oh so handsome Jean-Marc of Indochine. You can buy this original Keith Haring that was discovered by construction workers behind concrete. This was made in the days when artists could actually afford to live in Tribeca which is now the most expensive zipcode in NYC. The catch is that it can't be removed from the wall. So the piece is gonna set you back a cool $13.25 million. Loft included. I think I'll just stick with buying one of the fabulous plastic Keith Haring clutches from Pat Field's....$80 seems like a steal compared to the loft.

So I stole most of the images from NY Metromix and a few from facebook. I never bring a camera to parties cause I'm usually too busy to remember to snap pics. This makes me a horrible blogger but a fabulous party host!

No comments:

Post a Comment