Saturday, February 27, 2010

LaQuan Smith

I didn't get as excited this past fashionweek in NY as I usually do. Maybe it was McQueen's passing that turned me sad and cynical about fashion which is something that is usually akin to a happy drug high. Threeasfour brightened my day with their metallic darkness but I didn't understand everyone gushing about how Marc Jacobs didn't create a buzz and just went back to making clothes "It's refreshing to see something that isn't trying so hard to be new," said Jacobs and I thought yeah just what I need for inspiration...more of the same! I needed my jaded fashion heart to be moved a little, so it was the perfect time for me to discover LaQuan Smith. Nothing makes me happier than a classic NY fairytale come true, so lucky for LaQuan, Andre Leon Talley discovered him too, attended his first ever show and is singing his praises. Aptly called "Water goddess" it was awash with pale blues and nudes and vaguely Balenciagaesque. I first noticed his gold spiked catsuit on Rhianna, and through common friends fell on his twitter page and read "Mom is going to gag when she sees me in 6 inch Fendi heels on national TV" So he's a drag queen?! Not at all. He's a pretty NY fashion loving boy who galavants in skinny jeans and sometimes sports a good pump. Already a smile forming across my lips I read that he's only 21, was rejected from F.I.T. and Parsons, drafts his own patterns, cuts his own fabrics, and be still my heart...all from his bedroom in his grandmother's house in Queen's. For this collection Marc Jacob's sent models down the runway to the tune of "Somewhere over the rainbow", but somewhere in Queen's right now there's a young man singing "When you wish upon a star"...

No comments:

Post a Comment