Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Anastasia & Snegurochka


This a story about 3 girls. Anastasia, Snegurochka, and Ladyfag. When I was a little Ladyfag I had seen a documentary on Anastasia and the last Tsar's of Russia. In 1918, the whole family was brought into a room thinking they were about to get their photo taken, and when they sat to pose were all gunned down. Till the 90's there was a myth that the little girl Anastasia had actually escaped to the woods and people kept coming forth claiming to be her. As a little girl, I was fascinated by her....Snegurochka is a famous Russian fairy tale about the daughter of Father Winter. She didn't have the ability to love and her mother took pity on her sadness and gave her a real heart. She fell in love with a little boy and melted...The story makes MY heart melt...Both sides of my family came from countries where they were persecuted for who they were. My father's side came from Russia where they had to escape and my grandmother was a Hungarian Holocaust survivor. The secrecy in my family trying to shelter me from their bad memories, and the borders being far different than today's geography, lead to much confusion in my youth about where I had actually come from. I am only now as an adult beginning to understand.I have always been drawn to Eastern European traditions and aesthetics. I love myths and fairytales and saw a common thread between three girls whose lives were all affected by the families they were born into. I liked to imagine myself as the little Anastasia managing to escape to the snowy woods and having Snegurochka come visit her to bring her comfort. I assumed she would have known the story, and during the making of it I found out that her father had commissioned an opera about it with music by Tchaikovsky which we used in the film. In truth we now know she did die that day with her family and so I decided to take her place and pose for the last photo that was never taken of her. The day before filming the weather was beautiful when all I wanted was snow. Seems like Snegurochka heard my cry and NY had it's last snowstorm of the season and the whole crew happily trudged through piles of white to tell a story....

LADYFAG in ANASTASIA & SNEGUROCHKA from Stylelikeu on Vimeo.

Thank you to Jason Last for making this film and understanding how important the story behind it was to me, to Fabian Montique for taking photos in the worst of conditions. Thanks to my assistant Sophia, to Kryaki Savarni for beating my face, and to my ever loyal hairdresser Brian Buenaventura. Lastly,thank you to Elisa Goodkind and the whole Stylelikeu crew for believing in the magic of people telling their stories through fashion....

3 comments:

  1. The image you and your team created is very intriguing.
    People from Eastern Europe are often so mixed that it's hard to put a nationality on. Same thing with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually laughed throughout that I was mixing things up but that it just makes more sense that way. It was Victorian meets Renaissance meets 1930's meets Medieval....Hungary meets Russia meets Mongolia meets Maison Martin Margiela!!...Magic isn't supposed to be real....

    ReplyDelete