Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Good Hair

As the saying goes...The grass is always greener on the other side. I remember when all the young girls at school were getting perms and my mom wouldn't let me cause she said the chemicals would ruin my hair. She was right. I like my hair the way it is and keep it fairly chemical free. The same can't be said for alot of women....I just watched Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair. It's about the African American obsession with having "good hair", what it entails to get it and the billion dollar industry of weaves and the dangerous chemical relaxers it's created. It's also a movie about community and a social commentary on what the term 'good hair' means? While the movie raises more debate then answers, I think Ice-T said it best when talking about how women should stop judging other women on if they keep it natural or use relaxers. "Because if a women ain't happy with herself, she's gonna bring nothing but pain to every-fuckin-body around her"....ain't that the truth!! Pass me the Crown Royal...

No comments:

Post a Comment