Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de what?!

I SAY YES: "In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it" Napolean. For the first time in 50 years the Goliath that was Napolean and the French army were defeated by the little David of a Mexican army. On the fifth of May 1862 in the town of Puebla 4000 badly armed mexican fighters defeated an 8000 heavily armed French army...Cinco De Mayo!! The French were actually making their way up to fight their real enemy the USA who were busy fighting the confederacy. The confederate rebels would have loved the help of Napolean on their side but the Mexicans squashed the notion....While a bit of a stretch, one could almost say those 4000 Mexicans is why the civil war ended. Basically it's the one day where the US celebrates the Mexicans in their country. Forget the champagne and bust out the margaritas! Just don't get too drunk, it's a one day affair, and the pendejos in Ariziona will be back to rounding people up...Viva la raza.
GOES WELL WITH:While everyone was out getting shit faced on margaritas, I was eating homemade mexican food and reading my new book 'Self Portrait in A Velvet Dress' which painstakingly documents every piece of Frida's wardrobe, explaining where the traditional pieces came from, the methods in which they were made, and their relation to Frida. I spent much time in Mexico City and it was a last minute choice to move to NY instead of DF. I spent the day sadly dreaming of what I gave up....Perdoname mi Teotihuacan para dejarle...estoy siempre tu chilangita en mi corazon. By the end of the day I was ready to celebrate, so I popped on my favourite handwoven rebozo and hit the party...I think Guadalupe would be proud!
SOUNDTRACK: DF girl band Las Ultrasonicas In between buying bootleg cumbia cd's off the street, this is one of my fave bands from Mexico City. These girls are nasty....check out "Vente en Mi Boca" if you don't believe me...babelfish that one paisanos!

No comments:

Post a Comment