Monday, June 21, 2010

polka dotted princesses

I'm a big fan of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama. She claims alot of her work with obsessive patterns, protruding phalluses, and polka dots (which she calls infinity nets) actually come from the hallucinations that she suffers. She's been voluntarily living in a mental institution for many years but has a studio near by where she still creates an abudance of work. A painter, sculptor, performance artist, poet, creator of happenings, and a feminist....have you ever pressed on your closed eyelids, and in the darkness you see flashes of glowing lights?... I like to imagine that's what it's like in her polka dotted mind.This is a video I found on the internet of her installation "Firefly's On The Water" It's one of those you had to be there to experience it things, so while it doesn't do justice it sort of gives you a glimpse. A few years back I was lucky enough to see it at the Whitney Biennial. In the midst of the chaos of the biennial, you got to go in alone to experience the magic in solitude. I remember feeling tremendous inner peace and not wanting to leave. The distraught and tortured Kusama, she had found a way to express the perfect infinity...if only she knew how to make it last for an infinity...a minute later security knocked on the door. Only a minute per person...my time with infinity was over.
I am also a large fan of Florence and the Machine and couldn't help but notice the extreme similarity in the video. I'm sure Florence got to spend much more than a minute in that lovely fantasy world. At least I can watch her video over and over to infinty and beyond.

1 comment: